Wednesday, February 13, 2008

I Love You Treats

Last year was the first year I had a child in school for Valentine's Day. I knew that there was going to be a party, and I got Kate dressed in a really cute, red smocked dress (from Ebay!)and took her to school despite the fact that she seemed to be getting a cold with a lightly snotty nose and junky eyes. I was really excited for her to go to the party.

When we got to school, all the other children in class had cute little bags and baskets of Valentines to pass out to their classmate. But Kate didn't. Never in my wildest dreams did I think that 2.5 year olds passed out Valentines to each other! Although I doubt Kate even noticed because she was so excited to be getting Valentines, I nonetheless felt like a horribly inadequate mother. However, Kate did pass around something to her classmates in an appropriate Valentine shade... pink eye!

So this year, I wanted to make sure I got it right, maybe even make up for last year. I'm severely lacking sleep from staying up too late, but I think I got it right! Handmade valetines and heart shaped brownies!
The recipe I used for the brownies is from my mom's friend Irene and is the brownie recipe my mom always made for me. No other brownies taste quite right to me. To adjust for altitude I added another 1/4 cup of flour and 2T of water. Then to make heart shaped, I poured batter into a little larger baking dish and used a heart shaped cookie cutter to cut out brownies after they had cooled.
Irene's Brownies
1 stick of butter
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt (optional)
1 T baking powder
4 T cocoa

Melt butter, beat in eggs, add sugar and vanilla and stir well. Mix in flour, salt, baking powder and cocoa. Pour into a greased and floured 8x8 pan. Bake at 350 for 25-35 min. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Notes on this post
  • I made three batches of brownies over the last 24 hours... the first batch I didn't adjust for altitude and they came out way to gooey in the middle and dry on top to send to preschool
  • When making heart shaped brownies, a lot goes to "waste" so you may want to plan on making a second batch to get enough.
  • I ate "waste" for breakfast this morning!
  • I am very proud of myself that I did nothing to try to make the brownies healthier. Very unlike me.
  • Do you see the lollipops on the valentines? Those are the artificial-color filled lollipops that I have been trying to use up without giving to my kids since before Halloween!
  • I was actually in denial that Kate had pink eye (even told the preschool teacher that it was a plugged tear duct, not pink eye) until MY eye turned red and itchy. Not fun.

8 comments:

Kind of Crunchy Mama said...

You could have put the waste brownies on top of ice cream :-D

Everyday Yogini said...

Your brownies are beeeeUtiful!! I hope Kate and Jack had a spectacular time at the party and I also wish you sweet dreams tonight when you hit the sack! Isn't it always the case that you go to bed late and the kids are up early??

Kari said...

Ummm, Kristen, Mom made Irene's brownies for all of us not just for you!! :)

the mama bird diaries said...

Cute. Cute. Cute.

But I am now completely panicked that I should have valentine's for my daughter to give away tomorrow at school. Must go find out.

Dawn said...

Those brownies are so cute. Valentines day with kids in school adds quite a bit of work doesn't it.

PopMom said...

After a day and a half of desperately hoping that my daughters fever would subside, alas, it did not and she missed her Valentines party at Preschool today. She didn't seem to notice though...I almost sent her anyway since the fever was definintely lower than yesterday, but guilt won out. I want brownies now.

The Cole Mine said...

We will try those brownies...Yum.

joanie said...

Those look very yummy. My children would love brownies even more if they were heart shaped!