Friday, February 08, 2008

Greener Running

Today is day #1 in my training for a 10mile race in June. I haven't actually run today, but I am going to. Yup, I am. No backing out of this one. I am going to run no matter how I feel. Yup. If I can find my Nike+ IPod attachment thingy, then I'll add a link in the sidebar to my latest runs and everyone can give me a hard time if I'm not keeping up like I should.

Running is a pretty green exercise habit. All you really need is a pair of running shoes. But running shoes wear out quickly, and then you need another pair of running shoes. I usually donate old running shoes to Goodwill or something similar, but I don't really know where my shoes end up. I hate the idea of all my running shoes filling up landfills, so I was excited to learn about the website RecycledRunners.com. They list donation sites where your shoes may be sent to those in need or recycled into surfaces for outdoor playgrounds, basketball courts, or tracks. Check out their drop-off map to see if there is a location near you.

And if you are a mom runner, you might want to check out the great blog written by one of my friends - Marathon Moms.

5 comments:

Everyday Yogini said...

You know what I lost on this move?? My Nike+ kit. I am so bummed! And I just can't bear to tell Erick...

Are you doing the Garden of the Gods 10 miler?? I wish I were there to run with you!

village mama said...

Good luck with your training!

adrian2514 said...

I really enjoy reading your blog, it always has great insight. But I am very frustrated with the fact that so few people are talking about presidential candidates and their thoughts on global warming. Now that it is down to just a few candidates I would think that this would be a bigger issue.

Live Earth just picked up this topic and put out an article ( http://www.liveearth.org/news.php ) live earth is also asking why the presidential candidates are not being solicited for their stance on the issue of the climate change. I just saw a poll on www.EarthLab.com that says people care a lot about what their next leader thinks of global warming. Does anyone know of another poll or other results about this subject?

Here is the page where I saw the EarthLab poll: http://www.earthlab.com/life.aspx. This is a pretty legit website; they are endorsed by Al Gore and the alliance for climate protection and they have a carbon footprint calculator. Does anyone have a strong opinion about this like I do? No matter what your political affiliation is or who you vote for this is an important issue for our environment, our economy and for homeland security.

The Cole Mine said...

Am I leaving a comment on the right post? It was about recycling running shoes, right??

;)

I need a Nike+ kit now!

Tiffany said...

How did your first day of running go?? I am ready to start running but I am slowly working up to it. Today I went cross country skiing for 1/2 hour and it was wonderful!