Sunday, January 20, 2008

Travel Felt Board

Remember when I said that I picked up a felt board for Kate at a local sale? She loves it. It is the best $5 I've ever spent. Watching her play with it, I thought that a felt board would make a great travel toy so I set out to make a smaller version.

I cut the bottom out of an ordinary cardboard box and cut a piece of old felt that I have leftover from an old project just a few inches larger than the cardboard piece.








Using a glue gun and pulling the felt snug, I glued the felt to the back of the cardboard. Don't put glue on the front of the cardboard or you may see the glued areas. When I make my second one (for Jack!), I also plan to trim some of the corner felt... it got a little thick.








I then cut and glued another piece of felt to the back and glued ribbon trim to hide the edges. I had intended for this to be the back, but it is Kate's favorite area to play.








I then cut out varied shapes in varied sizes. I'm showing my snowman "kit," but the kids like to play more with the plain shapes. I cut out a bunch of green, leaf shaped pieces that Kate loves to shape into trees.












Now all we need is a trip!

11 comments:

Dawn said...

This is a terrific idea. I'm going to have to copy you :)

Penny said...

Very crafty!

Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

so crafty! nice work! :) ava would LOVE one of those. i'll have to see if i can come up with something myself.

Angela Miller said...

You are so creative! Keegan would love something like that. I might just have to make him one. Did you use a pattern for the shapes or did you do that on your own?

Everyday Yogini said...

Simply amazing. You sell these, I would buy many.

ames said...

Very cool. I had a felt board when I was little that my mom made for me from a cork bulletin board. Once I discovered that I could cut out my own shapes for it, I went nuts!

Jessie said...

Don't you just love those! We got the the Elmo Goes to School at a sale and I am picking up The Hungry Caterpillar tomorrow. Now I like your idea better :) You are such a crafty mama!

Kelly said...

What a CUTE idea! My five year old would love that!

*carrie* said...

I love this idea. My son's a little young yet, but it would be great to make for my nieces. And I already have the materials! The cardboard I saved from my new calendar should be the perfect size. Thanks!

PopMom said...

I'm so not crafty, but this is really basic and was such fun to put together. Yes, I totally copied and ran out to Michaels today for felt. The kids love it! We cut out rainbow parts, flowers, sun, moons, stars, car parts and train parts. Thanks so much for the idea and pictures to go along with it!

Anonymous said...

Some may feel squeamish about eating it, but rabbit has a fan base that grows as cooks discover how easy they are to raise — and how good the meat tastes.