Thursday, January 03, 2008

Sibling Translation

This isn't an uncommon occurrence in our home, but it still baffles me...

Yesterday Jack came up to me and asks, "Mommy, I wan vlbjustu." Now Jack supposedly has a great vocabulary for a 2.5 year old (as per a pediatrician friend of mine) and can link together several sentences. And supposedly his pronunciation is also very good even though I often can't understand words he says. It is mostly when words are out of context that I have a difficult time.

So I ask Jack, "Tell me again what you want?"
"vlbjustu"
"A glass of water?"
"No, I wan vlbjustu!"
Huh? I try a few more options with no luck. I'm stumped.
"Jack, I can't understand you. Can you show me?"
"NO! I wan vlbjustu!"
"I'm sorry, Jack, but I can't understand what you want..."

Just then Kate comes upstairs. I ask Kate, "Do you know what Jack wants?"
Kate looks at Jack and asks, "What do you want, Jack?"
Jack responds, "I wan vlbjustu."
Kate looks at me like I'm crazy. "He wants veggie straws."
Jack smiles, "Ya! Vlbjustu!"
I could almost here both of them thinking, "Duh, Mom!"

11 comments:

Dawn said...

That's so funny. My daughter is the interpreter around my house also. Actually, my baby is now 4 and I'm a little sad that her services aren't needed so much anymore.

Angela Miller said...

That is too cute! Make sure you write that in his baby book.

Mom2Cass said...

So funny!

Stacy

Ashlee said...

Too true! They are adorable. I can just see the "duh!" in their eyes!

Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

that's so cute. thank goodness for the translator. ;)

Tiffany said...

Mikayla talks pretty darn good as well but I hear you!! Especially if she is crying or fussy sometimes I have no idea what she is saying. I finally have to tell her I have no idea what she is saying can you show me. When she was younger my husband was a better translator than I was. Good thing for Kate.

Geggie said...

Out of the mouths of babes, right!

I'm home and received my PIF goodies, I love them! Thank you!

Come play my PIF contest? Pass it on!

stu1211 said...

Does anybody know about this site ( www.earthlab.com ) ? I have seen other environmental sites with carbon calculators like yahoo and tree huggers, but I am wondering what the deal with earthlab.com is, is it credible? I saw they also published a list last month of the top ten greenest cities ( http://www.efficientenergy.org/Top-Ten-Green-Cities-in-the-United-States ). Does anyone know if this site is better than say WWF site? Fill me in

I took their carbon foot print test and it was pretty interesting, but they said that I put out 4.5 tons of carbon while another test gave me like 15 tons? I think I trust earthlab.com’s test a little more (because my score is lower). Does anyone know about any other tests?

Penny said...

LOL! I apparently interpreted for my sister too. Tim makes up words sometimes which makes it hard to understand.

the mama bird diaries said...

very funny.

So frustrating when you don't understand what they are saying! So good to have "someone in the know" around the house.

Garnet said...

Scarey... because they sound like my two. Several times a day I have to ask the other what the first one is saying.