Tuesday, January 15, 2008

New Year's Resolution #2

Mid-January and I'm just getting around to writing down my second New Year's Resolution. My first resolution is going pretty well*. This one is not going so well, so I thought I had better make it official.

New Year's Resolution #2: Get It Together

After Kate was born, I did a really good job getting it back together. I had a full routine modeled on the FlyLady routines. The house was fairly clean, meals were cooked, thank-you notes written, phone calls returned plus I was working part-time from home! We moved to Colorado 3 months after Jack was born, and I haven't gotten it together since. That's almost 3 years. Sure, I've had moments of togetherness, but all in all, I don't have life together the way I want. (I can't even seem to return phone calls!) I am a pretty organized person so this hasn't been easy for me. But for 2008, I am going to get-it-together again! Here's what is going to be involved...
  • Stick to our budget. Thanks to my friend Jennifer and to the Dave Ramsey talk show, we've decided to get our budget in order. We don't really money problems, we just don't know where all of our money is going every month.
  • Along with our budget, I also want to start tracking our utility usage to see if we can make some improvements. Our utility bills are relatively low since our home is "built green" and really well insulated. Still, there is always room for improvement.
  • Get the daily routine in place. Organize my Control Journal. I need some direction.
  • Hire a babysitter. I need time without the kids to stay in control.
  • Plan ahead. More on this after I get a little bit of control.
  • And probably the most difficult step of this resolution... limit my time on the computer. I don't know exactly what this is going to entail or how long it will last, but I need the extra time if I am going to get it together.

*I'm on track with NYR #1. Last week we made peanut butter/birdseed hangings for out trees and bushes to feed the birds. The kids LOVED it. I LOVED it despite the mess. We were all pretty happy. I participated in the MIFS carnival again - check out this week's edition at Walkabout. Oh - I'm also teaching myself to crochet!

6 comments:

Marathon Moms said...

I totally hear what you're saying, Kristen--I feel like I flail about all day long, just trying to accomplish the easiest tasks, like returning phone calls :). And staying off the computer is huge, but I love your blog, so don't stay away too much!
Dimitt

Jen said...

Uhhh! I feel your pain and I'm right there with ya! While Sam's been napping, I spent over and hour on the computer surfing and reading...great stuff about greener/healthier pillows, safer toys, tennis shoe recyling...but I needed to be doing laundry.
Glad we could help you get going with the budget...you too inspire me every day!...to make greener choices and changes. :)

Penny said...

I'm pretty useless at the housework thing. I just find it so boring.

Kind of Crunchy Mama said...

Good luck with everything!

Check out
http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/index.php

for free patterns and don't forget to check your library for manuals and pattern books.

Jessie said...

How fun for you to teach yourself something new and just think of the fabulous things you will make!

I went through a time that I felt I was on the computer too much so when everyone else was turning off their tv's for Turn Off Your TV Week (or whatever it is called) I quit the computer cold turkey. Now when the kiddos are in bed I will get online to visit some of my favorite places (like here) but don't spend a ton of time. Good luck - it is a tough one but like a pp said "Don't spend too much time away b/c we love your blog" *wink*.

Good luck with all you hope to accomplish this year mama!

Mom2Cass said...

Hi Kristen-

I was feeling overwhelmed by housework too and someone recently introduced to motivatedmoms.com, I'm doing the "program" and it's been going pretty well. E-mail me with your e-mail addy and I'd be happy to share the pdf file with you, it's got a week by week plan that's easy to follow.

Stacy