Monday, January 07, 2008

Monday Menu Plan

While driving back and forth from the mountains this weekend, I was catching up on my Hip Tranquil Chick podcasts and listened to podcast #111 (Dec 2nd) interviewing the author of The Hip Chick's Guide to Macrobiotics (Nona told me it was going to be good, and it was! I can't wait to read the book!). I am not one for any kind of strict diet, but I do think that most "diets" have positive changes that can be incorporated into my own diet. After listening to this podcast, I realized that I need to add more whole grains to my family's meals. The author was very clear that whole grains don't mean whole wheat bread or whole wheat pasta, but true whole grains such as brown rice, quinoa, millet, spelt, etc. We probably eat more whole grains than the average family, but we certainly don't eat enough. I am going to try to change that by trying some new recipes this week and continue it through all my meal planning.

Monday - Red Lentil Patties with Cilantro Sauce (recipe below), mixed green salad
Tuesday - Breaded Garlic Dill Fish (from Moosewood Low-Fat Favorites), Harvest Grains Blend (from Trader Joe's - a gift from my friend Krista - it is a combo of Israeli Couscous, Orzo, Baby Garbanzo Beans, and Red Quinoa), steamed broccoli
Wednesday - EV's Veggies - my favorite standby healthy meal!
Thursday -
Friday -

Jack needs me... check back later in the week for Thurs/Fri. And I'll try to post the Fish recipe also!

Red Lentil Patties
(this is from an old, old Organic Style magazine - does anyone else miss that magazine? I even liked it after it went main stream, but I'd like the old version back - I haven't made this recipe in years so I thought I'd pull it out again. I have a note to try it with goat cheese and add more salt.)
Patties
1 cup basmati rice
1/2 cup red lentils
1/2 tsp turmeric
3/4 tsp salt
2 T plus 4 tsp light sesame or peanut oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 cups finely chopped onion
1/4 tsp red-pepper flakes
1/4 cup arrowroot powder

Cilantro Sauce
1 cup cilantro
1/4 cup coconut milk
2 T fresh lemon juice
1 jalapeno chile pepper, stemmed and seeded
1 garlic clove
1-in piece fresh ginger
1/4 tsp salt

To make patties


  1. Place rice and lentils into a med saucepan with 4 cups of water, the turmeric and the salt. Cover, bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 10 min. Remove the cover and simmer, without stirring until the water is absorbed, about 15 min.

  2. Meanwhile, heat 2 T of oil in a skillet over med-high heat. Add the cumin and cook, stirring frequently for 1 min until fragrant. Add the onions. Cook over med heat, stirring frequently until well browned, about 12 min. Add the red pepper. Remove from the heat and add to the lentils and rice. Combine well. Spoon the mixture into a bowl and let stand until cool, about 20 min.

  3. Spread the arrow root on a large plate. Form the lentil-rice mixture into 8 patties. Evenly coat the patties with the arrowroot and set aside until ready to cook.

  4. Heat 2 tsp of oil in skillet over high heat. Cook 4 patties until golden, about 2 min per side. Heat the remaining 2 tsp of oil and repeat for the remaining patties. Serve warm, drizzle with Cilantro Sauce.

Cilantro Sauce - put the cilantro, coconut milk, lemon juice, jalapeno, garlic, ginger, and salt into a blender, blend until smooth.

5 comments:

shokufeh said...

Mmmm, sounds gooood. Thanks for the recipe.

Penny said...

That grain blend sounds lovely!

Bonnie said...

Sounds good !

I was reading your side bar ... what is a cohousing community ?

Geggie said...

I just made a fab wheat berry salad. Cook the wheat berries in simmering water for about 30 min, until soft.

Strain.

I added dried cranberries, diced zucchini & sliced almonds. The dressing was pomegranate molasses with olive oil, garlic, lemon juice S&P. It was wonderful!

And tabouli, I can't get enough of it@

The Cole Mine said...

Your menu sounds yummy. We have made your mom's mac n cheese a standard around here. Joe likes it better than my old recipe!