Monday, January 14, 2008

The "Me" Weekend

Other than the fact that I didn't see my husband nearly at all, I had an awesome weekend! What qualified it as an awesome weekend? Lots of "me" time!

Kicked the weekend off with playgroup moms' night out on Friday evening for our 2nd annual Christmas-in-January party. Everyone came, and it was so much fun to gab without the distraction of kids. We ate (far too many French fries for me!), drank, and exchanged gifts. I love the fact that my kids will know these kids and I will know these moms probably forever.

Matt had to work on Saturday, so I called a babysitter for a few hours that morning. Did I run necessary errands? No. Did I do holiday returns? No. Did I grocery shop? No. I went "me" shopping. I hit the Container Store (one of my favorite places!) to get some organizing ideas. Picked up some of these so I don't have to pack Kate's lunch items in plastic. And since the mall was right there, and I never get to go to the mall, I hit Nordstrom, Anthropologie, Sundance, William-Sonoma, J Crew, and Pottery Barn. The only thing I actually purchased was a half-price, cozy, wool sweater from Sundance. I didn't really need anything but still enjoyed the leisurely shopping.

Sunday night I went to a film night with a group of neighborhood moms. While snacking on appetizers and desserts, we watched a short French clip called Merci which was very uplifting followed by the documentary The Farm about life in the Louisiana prison Angola. While very difficult to watch, it provoked a good conversation about racism, the death penalty, and politics. Film night was a lot like a book club... only you don't have to read a book! I'm already looking forward to the next one.

I have another "me" weekend coming up soon. My mother-in-law will be visiting, and she and Matt plan to take the kids up to the mountains for a weekend of skiing while I stay home and do whatever I want!

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

What a wonderful weekend - I cannot image shopping without the kiddo. Actually I did do grocery shopping about a month ago with no kiddo and I was amazed that I spent less money than normal, since I could really think about what I was buying. I would love a trip to the mall with no kids but don't want to drive the 3 hours in the first place!

molly said...

sounds like you have some great play groups and mom groups! how did you find each other?

Dawn said...

That all sounds so wonderful. Those little tins are a great idea for lunch packing, I never would have thought of that.

GreenStyleMom said...

Molly, I just sorta fell into both groups. The playgroup was formed from several pregnant moms hanging out in a coffee shop. I was invited by one of my neighbors.

The film group is another group of neighborhood moms that just put it together. I started talking to one of the moms last summer and got an invite.