Sunday, January 06, 2008

Lettuce Edged Tights

Want that Hanna Andersson look without the price? Have a good pair of tights with holes in the feet that you want to make last a bit longer? Have a child like mine who wants to only wear dresses, but who doesn't like to wear the tights because she likes to be bare foot? This is the project for you!

I made these for Kate awhile back and have been meaning to share them because they are so freakin' cute. I can't take credit for the idea. My friend Tess had them on her girls and told me how to make them. Tess also used the same technique on onsies when she didn't want the snap bottom. My mom also helped a bunch. She new just what to do because I guess lettuce edges were very popular back in the day when she and all her friends took the popular Stretch-N-Sew classes.
Step One: Find a pair of tights. I practiced on a few pairs of tights that I bought at Target for fairly inexpensive. In the future I plan to use the tights which already have holes in the toes and/or heels.











Step Two: Cut off the foot of the tights. Don't worry about it being exactly straight.







Step Three: Turn the tights inside-out. While pulling the fabric fairly tight, sew a wide zig-zag stitch along the cut edge.







Step Four: That's it! As the fabric regains its shape, the edge will lettuce. They are ready to be worn. (see I also made a pair of socks from the cut-off portion?)






10 comments:

Chelle said...

that is such a cute idea!!!

Dawn said...

I'm going to have to try this. Thanks for the great idea.

Mom2Cass said...

so simple and so cute! thanks for sharing.

stacy

Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

those are adorable! i see a sewing project for my mom in the near future. ;)

Geggie said...

So flippin' cute. Is this an appropriate look for a 34 yr old?

Robyn said...

Those are SO cute and easy, I wish I had a girl so I could make them! My sewing machine is sitting in my basement, collecting dust. Boys' clothing just isn't as much fun!

Penny said...

Cuuute!

joanie said...

Fantastic! My daughter grows out of tights so quickly, now a way to make them last longer.

Jessie said...

GREAT idea!

Anna said...

Oh, that is adorable and so EASY! I'll definitely be trying this.