Sunday, January 13, 2008

Mountain High Hot Chocolate

One of my favorite things about being in the mountains in the winter is hot chocolate. In the afternoons when we are all feeling a bit groggy, the kids and I will make some cookies or some muffins and enjoy them with a mug of hot chocolate with marshmallows.

At the beginning of each winter, I make a big batch of hot chocolate mix to be stored in a glass jar on the counter top. When anyone wants hot chocolate, we add hot water and marshmallows and enjoy. My mom used to make a similar hot chocolate mixture, and I remember loving to eat it dry. I won't let me kids do that yet, but I'm sure it won't be long before they figure it out.

Here is my recipe for hot chocolate mix...

Hot Chocolate Mix
(makes about 13 cups - I usually make it x3-4)

¼ cup cocoa powder
1 cup powdered sugar
2 cups powdered milk
1/3 cup powdered creamer
1/4 cup malted-milk powder

4 T of mixture to a mug and add 6-8oz of boiling water

And here are my babies enjoying their hot chocolate... although Kate won't cooperate with photos lately...

8 comments:

Penny said...

Nice winter treat!

Dawn said...

Thanks for the recipe. I make a mix but it's not the best. I'm going to try yours.

Jennifer said...

I want to try this recipe too! What brands of malt and creamer powder do you use?

Ashlee said...

oh, rock on! i'm totally going to make this. i love that you put malted milk powder in it. YUM!

Colorado Knitter said...

Oh that sounds good. Much better than the recipes I have tried before (I love malts though). I am going to give it a try Thanks!

Everyday Yogini said...

Yum, Yum, and YUM!!!

mommytoj said...

That sounds delicious. Those are cute pictures of your kids.

carrie said...

I just made hot cocoa mix for the first time--yum!

I'm a Colorado native--it's so fun to find new bloggers in my home state!