Thursday, January 24, 2008

A Deceptively Delicious Day!

We are having a really good day today. Well, except for the kids waking up over an hour early this morning and then both throwing tantrums at swim lessons because they were super tired, but after all that and a catnap for both in the car, we are now having a great day!

After lunch, Kate asked to make cookies. We haven't made cookies in awhile and I've been wanting to try the chocolate chip cookies made with chickpeas from my Deceptively Delicious cookbook so we pulled out all the ingredients.

I was pretty excited when I first heard about Deceptively Delicious being published. I had it pre-ordered on Amazon last summer at least 3 months before it came out. That first week I tried a bunch of recipes... gingerbread spice cake with pureed broccoli for playgroup, tortilla roll ups with yellow squash and carrot for a play date, etc. I had planned to review the book on my blog, but it seemed like everyone else was talking about it. And, honestly, I was a bit disappointed in the recipes I had tried and wanted to try more. I don't know what I expected, but I definitely expected more bang for the buck for the work involved in hiding veggies. I don't consider a tablespoon of broccoli puree worth the effort of hiding it, esp when making broccoli puree isn't the easiest process.

I am certainly not new to hiding healthy things in my cooking. My kids eat really well as it is, and I tend to gravitate towards the philosophy of my friend Shannon who said that even if a cookie is "healthy," she still doesn't want her children thinking that it is okay to eat cookies all the time (only Shannon was much more eloquent when she said it). Still, I have fond memories of baking with my mom growing up and want to do the same for Kate, and if I can make the cookies a little more healthy when we do make them, why not?

Even with a "healthy" recipe, I can't leave it alone. I decreased the amount of chocolate chips (and used mini), used white whole wheat flour, increased the oats, added ground flax seed and added a few scoops of canned pumpkin. Plus I never know what to do with baking cookies at altitude.

So Kate and I hopefully made some memories in addition to our cookies this afternoon. The memories were good... the cookies... eh... we'll keep working on it...

7 comments:

The Cole Mine said...

Oh I can't leave "healthy" cookies alone either...I got The Sneaky Chef cookbook from Joe's mom for Christmas. We'll have to check it out and test some recipes at play group... And your gingerbread spice cake was super yummy!

Penny said...

Better luck next time ;)

Hey I did that zucchini slice the other day and it tastes great :)

Jessie said...

I have The Sneaky Chef and usually play with those recipes too. My girls love the chocolate/spinach/blueberry pancakes. I use the cocoa but not the chips b/c they eat them like crazy like that. I make a bunch and freeze for mornings when I don't want to worry about making breakfast.

Have fun playing and let us know if you find anything else good! Take care!

Mom2Cass said...

You are SO good, I need to pick up a copy of that book I keep hearing wonderful things about it!

Signed: The Mom that made Pillsbury pre-made cookies with her daughter just yesterday! (yes, i am that lame!)

Stacy

Seis said...

Have you tried Nutritional Yeast. It is very nutritious and easy to add to almost anything. It has tons of protein and lots of amino acids. I am a fan of the flakes over brewer's yeast (taste).

Ecky said...

Good luck with the baking, I always want to bake but I just don't have talent for that :)

Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

glad the memories were good, sorry the cookies were not. for a while i was always trying to make cookies healthier, but the past couple of months i've said to hell w/ it. they taste better when you do that. ;)