Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Celoso

That's Spanish for "jealous" as in I am really jealous that my sister left today for eleven days in Nicaragua. She spent two years in Nicaragua during here stint in the Peace Corp. I was able to visit, and what an amazing experience she seemed to have. This trip she is scoping out locations for a bat workshop.

I am really getting the bug to start traveling again more. I know everyone is going to say that I do travel a lot... and I do... just not to the places I really want to visit. As much as I love my parents, Dallas isn't all that exotic. Plus I grew up there so it hardly seems like travel. I am looking forward to my trip to Alabama in a few weeks, but again, not really the travel I imagine.

Children, even though they are worth it, have put quite a damper on travelling. I always said that my kids would just travel along with me... of course, that was before I actually had children. And then I had two just thirteen months apart. Goodbye, Vietnam!

All in all I realize that the "difficult to travel with the children" time is fairly short. Kate and Jack are actually very experienced and very good little travellers, so it won't be long now before we can start doing more intense trips with them. We have some bigger trips on the horizon (the kid have their passports ready!), and since my sister told me about her Nica trip, I have been researching Spanish schools with children's programs in Latin America. But until then, the kids will just have to watch The Jungle Book on the Spanish setting on our flights to Gulf Shores.

3 comments:

Penny said...

That reminds me, I must get Lydia's passport application going.

I've been quite impressed about how flexible the kids have been in terms of our short road trips we've done. But you do have to tailor some things for them, and it is so much easier when you don't have to worry about portacots.

I am hoping to do some overseas trips with them some day!

The Cole Mine said...

Your kids are such good travelers...Josh could take a few lessons! I miss travel too...

Cynthia Samuels said...

We took our kids everywhere. You just need to know the tricks - and you see the world a different way. Maybe not so many museums, more zoos, parks and playgrounds, cool buildings with ramps, things you can go to the top of.... you get the idea. There's a link to a piece I wrote for the NYT on my blog (link below). "Taking a Trip Overseas with the Kids" -- and it has lots of tips -- if you're interested. I always felt with them along that it was like going twice at the same time; you see what you see, and you see what THEY see, and the things you notice because you're with them (like amazing East Berlin playgrounds). I recommend it when you feel the logistics are manageable.