Monday, January 07, 2008

Another Thought About Food

While I am thinking about food...

A friend and neighbor made a comment to me last summer about eating that has really stuck with me. She pointed out how fresh fruits and vegetables "heal themselves" after you take a bite out of them. She showed me an apple that she had taken a bit out of a few hours earlier. The edges of the bite were curling in and the apple had developed a brown, protective layer over the creamy flesh. Then she asked me, "Why would we NOT want to have all those healing enzymes in our bodies? Why do we not eat mostly fresh fruits and vegetables?"

I thought it was pretty profound. Simple yet amazing.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

While I think there's something to be said for cooking, I agree that we need to eat way more fresh foods than we do. Everything is cooked to death in an effort to protect us from potential pathogens and I think that's to our detriment.

Ashlee said...

that IS a great thought. maybe i'll try to think of that as i reach for another reese's PB cup (and hopefully make a better choice)!

the mama bird diaries said...

I really like that. Plus I hate to cook. So it's perfect.

The Cole Mine said...

Yes, this is a good reminder that we need to eat more fresh/raw fruits and veggies at our house too.