Monday, December 17, 2007

Traveling Woes

We made it to NYC despite it being a bit of a rough trip. I continued to be sick and couldn't hold anything in through the wee hours of this morning. I seem to be doing better now. Keep your fingers crossed that it doesn't get worse again.

Our flight was a bit delayed yesterday due to weather on the East Coast. A little over an hour delay doesn't seem bad until you throw in two cranky preschoolers. My kids were amazingly well behaved despite the long day of travel.

And this morning when we thought the turbulence was finally over? Jack broke a bone in his foot. Yup. You read that correctly. Jack has his first broken bone. There is (rather, was) a full length mirror with a heavy frame hanging on the hotel room wall. Jack was looking at himself in the mirror while holding the frame when the whole thing slipped off the bracket and fell straight down on his foot. Fortunately I was right there and caught the mirror before it crashed over onto him. His foot immediately turned nasty purple and red colors and swelled up. Jack would not walk or even stand. If I even looked at his foot, he started screaming. I called Matt out of his conference, and we took him in for xrays. There is a slight fracture. Fortunately the orthopedic surgeon recommended NOT casting it. He said the painful injury is the soft-tissue crush, and his recommendation is to let it rest. He said Jack might be walking in a few days... or it might be a few weeks.

While we are in NYC this week, I probably won't be blogging a bunch. If I even feel like getting on the computer, I am going to try to catch up on reading other blogs and do some commenting. Have a great week!

10 comments:

Geggie said...

Ack! Poor boy. I hope he feels better soon. I think hot chocolate and the Museum of Natural History in his stroller are in order.

Penny said...

oh dear oh dear! Hope you both are feeling better for the rest of the trip!

Mom2Cass said...

oh no! poor jack! i hope he's on the mend soon.

sending good thoughts.

stacy

Kelly said...

Poor Jack! I hope his little foot heals quickly. :(

Hope the rest of your trip goes uneventfully and you are feeling better.

Everyday Yogini said...

Oh Kristen! I am so sorry... I hope the remainder of your trip is stress-free and pleasant! I'm thinking of you guys...

shokufeh said...

So sorry. What a bummer - a broken foot in New York. I hope you are able to find stationary amusements.

Jennifer said...

Good to know you made it to NY safely in the midst of the weather. Sorry to hear about Jack's foot. You definately had the 'opportunity' to prevent him from more harm! You're a heroine!
Adding to the others, wishing him a quick recovery. I am sure he'll be up and running (litteraly) in no time!

The Cole Mine said...

Ug! This sounds way worse than your email made it sound...I had no idea! Poor Jack! I am so sorry and wishing him a speedy recovery...Nothin' a few trips to FAO Schwarz can't cure!

Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

oh no! poor jack. i hope he heals quickly and that you all stay well. enjoy your stay! :)

Kind of Crunchy Mama said...

Oh, poor kid. Did you bring a stroller? At least he can lounge in there and you guys can still get out and do stuff.