Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Perfect Day for Baking!

Today was snowy and cold, so the kids and I stayed home and made some holiday cookies. Yum!
The first batch was my newly invented fudge recipe - Candy Cane Fudge! (I can't imagine I am the first one to think of this idea, but I've never seen it before). I took the fudge recipe I grew up using, switched the vanilla for peppermint extract, and added crushed candy canes to the middle and the top. Crushing the candy canes was a great distraction for the kids while I fixed the fudge (although I wouldn't recommend trying to crush them with a rubber mallet in the thin wrap... it might get a little messy... try putting them in a bag or something!) The fudge turned out really yummy! I can't wait to share some with friends and neighbors.

Candy Cane Fudge
¾ cup butter
3 cups sugar
2/3 cup evaporated milk
12 oz chocolate chips
7 oz marshmallow cream
1 tsp peppermint extract
1/2-3/4 cup crushed candy cane plus some for top

Melt butter, sugar, milk
Boil for 5 min on med heat stirring constantly
Stir in chips until melted
Add marshmallow cream then peppermint then crushed candy cane
Pour into greased 13x9 pan
Sprinkle with remaining crushed candy cane
Cool at room temp, cut, and store in fridge or freezer
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
We also made Marshmallow Wreath Treats. I love these. This was also something that we made with my mom while growing up. Just like Rice Krispie treats only with corn flakes (I sometimes use a multigrain flake cereal if I can find one that isn't overly sweet). I'm not sharing these. They are ALL for me!

Marshmallow Wreath Treats
1/2 cup butter
1 16oz bag marshmallows
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp (or more!) green food coloring
6 cups corn flakes
red hots

Melt butter and marshmallows over low heat, add vanilla and enough food coloring to get the shade of green desired. Mix in corn flakes until cereal is well coated with marshmallow mixture. Drop by spoonful on wax paper. Shape mixture in to wreath circles (keeping fingers wet will prevent too much sticking to your fingers) Decorate with red hots. Keep in the fridge or freezer until serving day. Let warm to room temp before serving. Eat and enjoy!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am entering both recipes in the Mile High Mamas Holiday Recipe Contest. If you have a favorite holiday recipe, I'd like to see it. But don't bother entering it in the contest because there is no way it would beat my recipes! *wink*



6 comments:

Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

those both look delicious and kate is so cute posing w/ the fudge. :)
good luck w/ the contest. i'm going to have to see if there's something i can come up with to enter.

Penny said...

LOL! Yeah, yeah, yeah ;-) But they doo look good. Excellent idea re the fudge. I did a rum & raisin version for the Christmas hampers I have made.

Everyday Yogini said...

I ate sooooo many of those wreath cookies last year (or was it the year before??)! If you haven't had them, make them, or, go to Kristen's house.... they are well worth the travel time! :)

Dawn said...

I'm looking forward to doing some holiday baking next week when my daughter is on vacation from school. I'm going to try both of these recipes. I also wanted to let you know I took the spinach balls that you shared the recipe for to a party and they were delicious.

The Cole Mine said...

These treats look FABULOUS! Such a cute pic of Kate! I haven't had the wreath candies in years...I look forward to trying them (Josh would LOVE them) and your fudge recipe! Good luck in the MHM contest!

Tiffany said...

I just started my holiday baking. I did not want to start too soon because they are going to be mailed away as X-mas presents. Mikayla helped me make some spice cookies - her only job last night was to smash the balls between her hands. Instead she ended up making snow men!
I am going to make fudge so I might have to use that receipe you mentioned.