Saturday, December 15, 2007

Gratitude Practice

I've been looking forward to posting my Gratitude Practice all week! I was listening to Dr. Laura on the radio earlier in the week (I really don't like her all that much. I think she is pretty rude, but I do like her stand that you need to do the right thing no matter how difficult it is). Dr. Laura was talking about shifting your attitude about life by changing your wording. Instead of saying or thinking that you have to do ______, instead think of it in terms that you get to do _____. I am going to use that thought for my Gratitude Practice today.

  1. I am grateful that I get to pack for our trip. Our family able to enjoy so much travel.
  2. I am grateful that I get to do laundry. Our family can afford nice clothes.
  3. I am grateful that I get to wash dishes. Our family has more than enough food to satisfy.
  4. I am grateful that I get to disagree with my husband. I have a husband who will be with me through anything.
  5. I am grateful that I get to spend all day with my children. I am able to shape their lives (hopefully for the better!).
  6. I am grateful that I get to pay the bills. We have the money to pay them.
  7. I am grateful that I get to clean up toys every evening. My children have everything they need.
  8. I am grateful that I get to address holiday cards. We have many friends.
  9. I am grateful that I get to go to the post office today. I have much to give to friends and family.
  10. I am grateful that I got to have food poisoning the last 36 hours. I lost 5 lbs! (okay, I'm being facetious, I'm not really grateful at all. The last 36 hours have been awful. Can't keep anything inside me. Not even water. I'm a bit better this morning. I've kept down a bite of banana and half a piece of toast for 30 min, and I'm sure I'll gain the 5lbs back as soon as I rehydrate...)

Be sure to head over to Everyday Yogini and participate in the weekly Gratitude Practice!

7 comments:

Dawn said...

How awful about the food poisoning! I had that once and I still shudder to think about it. Hope you recover quickly. I love the advice about changing your attitude from have to to get to, that's so true.

Everyday Yogini said...

Kristen I absolutely LOVE your gratitude list today! The "get" changes everything... thank you so much for sharing this!

AND, I hope you feel better really soon. I am so very sorry that you got food poisioning. YUK!

Melissa the Mouth said...

This is a brilliant gratitude list. I love it! Thanks for giving a gal in Fort Worth a little perspective. Feel better...

Melissa The Mouth

Kelly said...

I love your gratitude list, it's amazing how changing that one word changes the whole meaning of the sentence. :)

I hope you are feeling better, and are able to gain that five pounds back. the holidays are a time to GAIN weight, not lose it! lol

The Cole Mine said...

Oh feel better! That is yucky! Food poisoning is the worst. Love your list today!

About Me -- Stacy said...

Great idea -- one of the things I have started doing for my wellness wednesdays is changing the following words:

Instead of saying "should," I am saying "could." I am also replacing phrases such as "I have to, I've got to," and saying "I choose to" "I would like to," or simply "I'm going to," etc.

So, instead of saying, "Just a minute, Boo, I have to cut up these sweet potatoes first," I am trying to say "Just a minute, Boo, I'd like to cut these sweet potatoes first."

It seems small, but it makes a difference. I feel lighter, and I think my son does too. It also helps me "own" my actions rather than doing things mechanically.

I have also been thinking a lot about gratitude and the fine line between being grateful for something in a "Well, thank goodness it wasn't worse" way and actually, simply loving what it is for what it is.

Your list captures both of these ideas and powerfully illustrates with them with three simple letters!

I am grateful I get to read your blog. ;)

themommykelly said...

Thank you for sharing your gratefulness. I needed that this morning. How often we forget to count our blessings!