Sunday, December 02, 2007

Fresh Pecans!

One of the highlights of my recent trip to Texas was the Texas pecans. Matt's Uncle Jimmy and Aunt Evva have several native pecan trees on their property. Native pecans are smaller than traditional ones, more difficult to shell, but oh so golden and delicious!

Picking Up Pecans


Jack Stuffing His Pockets With Pecans


Uncle Jimmy Cracking Pecans with the Kids


It was so enjoyable to sit and shell pecans while enjoying a nice conversation. I hardly noticed that 3 hours had gone by. I should have taken a photo of my little bowl of pecan. After all that work, I had a about 3 cups to show. Pecans should be worth their weight in gold! I told Uncle Jimmy that I was going to go home to Colorado and plant me a pecan tree. He laughed and told me, "That's a great idea... I'm guessing you'll be getting your first pecan off that tree in about 40 years!"
We took the pecans to my mom's house and made this delicious pecan-cranberry cake that I took from a Wild Oats magazine and adjusted a bit. I think the hard-won fresh pecans made it just that much better!
(This would also be a great recipe for the star pans in my giveway that continues through Tuesday! If you haven't entered, head over and enter now!)

Cranberry Pecan Cake
1 1/4 cups sugar
3/4 cup melted butter
3 large eggs (or equivalent egg sub)
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
1 cup finely chopped pecans
powdered sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 375. Grease 9 inch square cake pan. Beat sugar, butter, eggs, and vanilla with electric mixer for 5 minutes or until thick and fluffy. Fold in flour. Stir in cranberries and pecans. Spread in prepared pan. Bake 45 min or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Serve hot or cold.

4 comments:

Dawn said...

I'm going to plan on making that cake- I love pecans. Thanks for sharing.

Penny said...

Yum!
We have a macadamia nut tree which is now giving us nuts. We did consider planting a walnut tree but decided against it for the same reason as your uncle pointed out! :)

Kelly said...

That cake sounds yummy! Too bad my hubby and kids are anti-nut. Gah!

Stephanie said...

Cranberries and pecans = YUM!