Thursday, December 13, 2007

The Boy Doll or The Difference Between Men & Women

We are a bit under the weather today. Being sick stinks because we were supposed to go see some friends, but I like having an excuse to not feel guilty about sticking the kids in front of the TV and surfing the internet. While browsing blogs, I came across The Not Quite Crunchy Parent's post Action Figure - "Boy" for "Doll". I decided I needed to record a family story from last year.

Christmas 2006, Jack is almost 21 months old and has taken an interest in Kate's dolls. He carries them around, gets the wipes and pretends to change diapers, wraps them in blankets and puts them in Kate's doll cradle. I think it is adorable but am concerned that all of Kate's dolls are female (aka lacking boy parts). I decide that what Jack really needs is a "boy doll" for play. A doll that has the same parts that he does. I know that Matt is not going to be pleased with my suggestion, so I plan my arguments which vary from developing a boy's nurturing side to helping him potty train.

All prepared for a battle, I approach Matt one evening and say, "I think we should get Jack a boy doll for Christmas." Before presenting my case and to my utter surprise and amazement, Matt quickly agrees that it is a great idea. I couldn't believe what a sensitive, modern man I had married! The next day I go to a small, local toy store and buy the boy doll that I have been eyeing. (Note that the doll's name on his shirt is Paul which also happens to be our neighbor's name) I bring the boy doll home and put him in our spare bedroom with the ever-growing collection of presents.

Later that day, I am out running more errands when I receive a call from Matt. He gives me no greeting and simply and flatly says, "I saw Paul." Confused and thinking of our neighbor, I ask, "What is Paul up to?" Matt continues, "Paul in our guest room." Still confused and concerned about the mess my guest room is, I say, "What in the world is Paul doing in our guest room?!?" Matt, still in a quite flat voice, responds, "No, I saw Paul the boy doll in the guest room." Finally realizing what we are talking about, I exclaim, "Isn't Paul great? I think Jack is really going to like him." Matt says, incredulously, "Does Paul have a penis?" and without missing a beat he continues, "When you said a 'boy doll,' I thought you meant a GI Joe..."

We had a good laugh, Jack got his "boy doll" for Christmas and loved it (almost as much as his Tonka truck), and Paul is still a close part of our family spending each night in bed with Jack. You can often find Jack in Kate's play high heels and Paul in a pink dress enjoying each other's company. It makes Matt cringe, but it makes me smile.

9 comments:

Everyday Yogini said...

Oh my goodness. We, too, are under the weather here and I needed a good laugh. That is fantastic! I love it.... thanks for the giggle!!

Kind of Crunchy Mama said...

Awww.

Bowie comes in the bathroom in the morning and dons a headband to match mine while I brush my teeth and wash my face. He brushes his teeth, then rummages around in my make-up drawer. He usually winds up putting the stick under eye concealer on like lipstick. Very cute.

It makes me cringe to think about little boys that live in families that would discipline them for just modeling normal behaviors like childcare, cooking or grooming.

Dawn said...

That is a funny story. Your son is blessed to have a mom like you- I remember having a garage sale last spring where we were selling a toy kitchen that a little boy really wanted, I offered to give it to him but the mom didn't want him to have it because it "was a girl toy", it wasn't even pink either.

The Cole Mine said...

Josh has COMPLETELY regressed in his potty training. Do you think Paul could help? ;)

The Not Quite Crunchy Parent said...

LOL - that's hilarious!

I had to fight my parents, my DH's parents and my DH to buy a boy doll for my DS.

I did it anyway but my DS actually preferred to push around a Shamu puppet in his (acceptable navy and yellow) toy stroller.He could not be dissuaded to push anything else around - I think that Orca was his REAL "boy doll".

Thanks for stopping by my blog and directing me to this great post!

Kelly said...

Sorry to hear you all aren't feeling well, hope everyone is on the mend soon.

This coming from someone with all girls - I didn't even realize they MADE anatomically correct boy dolls.

Penny said...

LOVED that story. So funny and so cute. Tim has an anatomically correct doll but he doesn't play with it. It cannot compete with trains I'm afraid.

Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

too funny! what a great story to tell jack when he's older. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to read this! I just bought my 2.5 year old son a baby doll. He keeps asking for a baby, and I thought a doll would be less expensive than another college tuition!

He's spooning the baby in his crib right now. And I (for a fleeting moment) began to panic that I may have made a mistake.

Until I read this - and all these great comments.

Thanks! :)