Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Book Promotion

I was wrapping some holiday presents this evening and thought I'd do a little book promotion. I am giving several copies of The American Factionary as gifts this year. It was written by Sy Testa who happens to be one of Kate's godfathers (she has two because in the Catholic church at least one of the godparents has to be a practicing Catholic and our friends we chose are not Catholic. I should also add that I wouldn't qualify as a godparent since I'm not exactly a practicing Catholic), and my dad is mentioned as one of the contributors. It is as fun little reference book and is a great vocabulary builder. I've enjoyed reading it as I feel my vocabulary has suffered since leaving college and then was completely obliterated by mommy brain. Sy took all the words in an unabridged dictionary, threw out the everyday words like "house" and "cat" as well as words related to specific disciplines like medicine and physics. He also took out obscure words that you don't need everyday. What is left are words that you can use to improve your communication on a daily basis. Matt and I have discussed consciously trying to improve our everyday vocabulary to lay the groundwork for the kids as they grow and expand their speech. I should call Sy and see if he'll donate a book for a giveaway... maybe it will even be autographed!

4 comments:

Everyday Yogini said...

Dang it, Kristen!

ANOTHER book I HAVE to have.... :)

Kind of Crunchy Mama said...

Cool!

The Cole Mine said...

Sounds like I need to add this one to my list!! Awesome!

Sara said...

I think this will be the perfect gift for my SIL. I always get the coolest ideas here..LOL