Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Recipe Rally - Butternut Squash Risotto

Thought I'd join in the Recipe Rally at Crazy Hip Blog Mamas because 1) choosing my favorite squash recipe is easy; 2) I need something to do while I am sitting at the computer waiting for trip photos to download; and 3) I'm avoiding unpacking...

This is a really yummy recipe, and I think I've posted it before. Just make sure the squash is fresh. Older squashes don't have as enough flavor for this dish.

Butternut Squash Risotto

1 lb butternut squash
7-8 cups broth
2 T minced parsley
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
s/p to taste
¼ cup olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 ½ cups Arborio rice

Cut squash in half, scoop out seeds and fibers, bake in oven at 375 until softened (about 30min). Cool. Scoop out pulp and place in medium bowl. Mix in parsley and nutmeg.

Pour broth into a saucepan and warm to a simmer.

In another saucepan over med heat, warm oil. Add onion and sauté until softened (about 3 min) Add the rice, stir to coat with oil, and cook, stirring, until edges are translucent, about 3-4 min. Add a ladleful of broth and cont to stir constantly over med heat. When the stock is almost fully absorbed, add another ladleful. Cont to add broth, a ladleful at a time, as soon as each ladleful is almost absorbed. The risotto is done when the rice is tender but firm, about 20 min total. (If you have a rice cooker, I make my risottos in the rice cooker. Follow directions up until you add the broth. Put the rice/onions/broth in the rice cooker and use the slow cooking option. It takes about an hour for the rice to cook.)

When the rice is done, add the butternut squash mixture, stirring well.

3 comments:

Everyday Yogini said...

I *love* this recipe... I have used canned sweet potato instead of the squash and it's terrific. I couldn't tell the difference. :)

Phoenix said...

YUM! This is sounds really good I will have to give it a try soon! :)

Penny said...

yum - I make something similar :) Also good with a bit of chopped red pepper in it.