Friday, November 30, 2007

Last Day of NaBloPoMo

Finally! Today is the last day of NaBloPoMo. I did it. I posted every day for the month of November. This really should not be that big of an accomplishment for me. I posted almost every day in Sept and Oct also. So why, then, did it feel so stressful for me to post everyday in November? For me, blogging suddenly became something I "had" to do, not something I did because I wanted. The pressure to post everyday was to meet the expectations of others, not myself. It took away from my true experience of blogging and forced me to meet the standards of others.

This idea is something I've been mulling over for awhile and NaBloPoMo just brought it to the forefront. Not about blogging, but about life. That need to live up to the standards of others. It is something I often find myself in an internal struggle over. I often feel pressure to fit into my "role" in society as a mother, wife, community member. The expectations of others don't always jive with my internal desires.

Matt and I are wrestling with several life decisions right now. It is causing us to really look at what we want in our life. I am also going through a normal holiday process for me where I examine what is important in my life. I clean out both physically and emotionally. I'm reading a related book right now by one of my favorite authors. I'll probably be blogging a lot about the book in the next few weeks. It has many "exercises" that I might complete on my blog.

I'd love to write more but my kids are going in opposite directions... and not the direction they need to be going!

5 comments:

Dawn said...

I look forward to reading more about the book you're reading. It sounds interesting.

Jayanthi said...

I follow Dawn on this...
I am also considering doing a blog business...and then of course it does become more outward focussed. I think there is always a balance we need to strike, between our own expectations and others expectations for us....

Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

i felt similarly to you. even though i posted nearly every day for the past few months, i didn't enjoy the pressure to HAVE to blog during nablopomo. so i'm not sure i'm committing to do it next year.

looking forward to hearing more about your book.

Kelly said...

Looking forward to hearing more about this book.

Penny said...

Having to do something because of a sense of duty is always harder than doing something for the love of it!!