Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Green On the Go - Food & Drink

I do a decent amount of traveling with the kids, and I would like to do a series of posts about what my family does to stay green on the go. While traveling in and of itself is not exactly environmentally friendly, I still try to keep up my green habits as much as possible when we travel. One of the toughest parts for me of staying green during travel is continuing to eat healthy and green while on the move. Here are a few of the things I try to do to stay green when traveling.


- Bring our own water bottles. Since we can't bring them full of water through security, we bring them empty and fill them up at one of the restaurants or a drinking fountain. Takes less time than buying a bottle of water and is free!

- Bring your own snacks. I like organic mini carrots, Lara bars, Annie's organic whole wheat bunnies, fruit leathers, Puffins cereal, and our new favorite organic lollipops.

- Plan for any meal during travel time and bring your own food from home. You'll feel better than if you eat the fast food junk in the airport, and you don't have to worry about time. I pack PB&J, veggie bootie, apples, grapes, etc.

- Refuse airplane snacks. They are overpackaged and really aren't that healthy (most I have seen have hydrogenated oils)

- Refuse airplane drinks or bring your own small cup (or use your water bottle!). Think of all those plastic cups that are being used everyday on every airplane. I usually let the kids have a can of apple juice while on board, but we use our own cups.

- Take any recyclables off the plane with you and recycle when you reach your destination(although some airlines do recycle the aluminum drink cans).

-Dine at local restaurants. I find them by using websites like Happy Cow (specifically for vegetarian establishments, but many of those tend to also be local), Dine Originals, or Best Independent Restaurants. I also check out restaurants associated with local museums or just search online "local restaurants" or "independent restaurants" in the city or state I am visiting. Not only is this a green and sometimes more healthy way to dine out, but it is also a great way to get a feel for the local culture and find little places you might not normally stumble upon.

I'd love any of your tips on how to eat and drink in a healthy & environmentally friendly way while traveling.

3 comments:

Everyday Yogini said...

Hey, we travel green and I didn't even know it!! But we do it because we can't stand food choices when travelling!

Anyway, we also bring our own coffee mugs so we don't have to use paper cups at cafes. Or, when when we travelled cross-country by car, we actually brought our espresso maker with us and made our own coffee every morning, but that was a bit extreme. :)

Crafty Green Poet said...

Looks like a good list to me!

Shannon said...

Can't wait to try the O lollipops!

Good ideas here...Thanks!