Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Cast Iron

Another great thing about cohousing? There is a box in the common house for "things that need a new home." There is a variety of things put there, but mostly it tends to be household goods. Since I am usually trying to downsize in our house, I usually don't take anything. A month or so ago I did find something that I wanted. A set of old cast iron skillets. They were a little rusty, but with a good scrubbing and re-seasoning, they were good as new. Jackpot!

My love affair with cast iron is fairly recent. It started last Christmas when Matt got me a cast iron griddle. I use it for everything... pancakes, fish, chicken, veggies, eggs. I expanded my cast iron cookware last spring and bought myself a small skillet. I continue to be amazed at how well food cooks on cast iron. It heats evenly and is nonstick once it is seasoned.

Cast iron is relatively inexpensive, and it lasts forever. Unlike Teflon and aluminum, you don't have to worry about what is seeping into your food with cast iron. Any iron in your food from cast iron is actually considered healthy!

Cast Iron Cabin has a whole line of cast iron cookware and is offering readers 10% purchases on their website using code GSMBS07. It would be a great place to start or expand your cast iron collection. They carry a 3-piece pre-seasoned skillet set that would make a great starter set. They also have muffin & biscuit pans or apple bakers that would make great gifts. And look at the cute alphabet cookie pan. I am planning on expanding my cast iron collection soon to include some bakeware and a dutch oven. I am also planning on giving several cast iron gifts this Christmas.

Edited: I missed a letter on the discount code, so try the corrected one!

10 comments:

Everyday Yogini said...

So why did I pay a fortune for Le Creuset, tell me?? These are great, Kristen! I especially like the flower muffin tins.

What's up with the Birth Story Carnival???

ames said...

What a lucky score! I'm green with envy.

I love the idea of a community freecycle box!

Penny said...

Score! Love my cast iron pan.

Jenny said...

I love my cast iron. And once it's seasoned, it's so easy to cook with.

Shannon said...

I need to cook with these...Thanks for the info! Reading your post made me HUNGRY!

Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

that's awesome! i've had my eye out for a cast iron skillet at the thrift stores for a while now. i might have to just break down and buy one at full price. i'd love to have one. :)

Knitting Fanatic said...

I have been cooking with cast Iron for awhile now and I love it! Maybe it is my imagination, but I think the food tastes better.

Ashlee said...

very timely. thanks friend!

Meredith A. said...

I have REALLY been wanting to try cast iron, but just haven't done much about it. The pans we have are yucky nonstick that is partially scratched off. I know it would be much much healthier for us to make the switch. Thanks for the website - I may leave a little e-mail hint to my husband for Christmas! (They honestly aren't as expensive as I thought!)

Stacy said...

I LOVE cast iron. I started cooking with one when I pregnant almost five years ago. I've recently been using a friend's dutch oven and I HAVE to get that one. It is great for roasting vegetables and even cooking a whole chicken.