Sunday, November 18, 2007

Another Interview with Greenstylemom

Another interview! This one by Everyday Yogini. What amazing questions. Nona was one of my neighbors in cohousing until she decided to leave me and take off on her great adventure. She was also my first friend in Colorado!


1) Kristen, I love your blog, Green Style Mom. Where did you come up with the idea and what is your vision for your site?

My original idea stemmed from reading some of the mom-baby shopping blogs that review products and offer discount codes. I love the sites but often find that the products don't fit with my desire to buy more sustainable products. I wanted to write a blog where product reviews are more environmentally friendly. I also realize that being greener is more often about products you don't buy, so I decided to also write about other ways our family is trying to be more green (plus I didn't want my blog to be impersonal).


I'm not sure I have a true "vision" for my site. My approach right now is to see where it takes me, but I would like to eventually move to my own domain and learn more technical blog things.


2) You live in a cohousing community. Living in close community with a diverse group can be challenging. What is the greatest lesson you've learned living there?

There are so many lessons to be learned in cohousing! I think the most important on that I am trying (not always successfully) to live is to keep my mouth shut. Cohousing can be like its own small town where information travels quickly and not always accurately. Several times things that I have specifically said in confidence have come back to me only hours later. I am getting very good at going directly to those with whom I have an issue and encouraging others to do the same. There are so many other lessons I've learned living here. I have a few posts mentally planned about some of them. The best part is that these lessons not only apply to life in cohousing, but also to life in the great community.


3) If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be, and why?

Physically it would be the second toe on my right foot. It is a long, wormy toe and sticks out further than all my other toes. Non-physical... I would like to be less paranoid. I won't even get into that.



4) How have motherhood & your kids changed you and your perspectives on life?

I've become much less judgemental. In typical fashion, I knew just how to be the perfect parent until I actually became one. I am also learning more how to appreciate individuality. I am realizing that I can't make people be who I want them to be (esp my children!) and instead I am learning to better love them for who they are.

5) If you could wish one thing into your life right now, what would it be, and why?

A daily housekeeper who would pick up and clean my home, know where everything belongs, know how to take care of everything (like not to soap and soak my cast iron or my porous stoneware), prepare meals as needed, and babysit as needed. Basically be at my beck and call. Do I even need to elaborate on why?

Now that you've read my interview, do you want to be interviewed? If you would like me to interview you on your blog, just leave me a comment!

6 comments:

Shannon said...

Can I borrow your pretend housekeeper? :)

Fun to read! Thanks!

Everyday Yogini said...

Kristen, I love you answers! I so enjoy learning more about you virtually through your blog! :)

AnnieM said...

I'd love to be interviewed! You can email me if you' like at anniemead at hotmail dot com.

Penny said...

I want a housekeeper too. :)

Geggie said...

Hi Kristen,

I actually have a question for you! I'm trying to buy more "green" for the holidays. I'm getting envirosax for several friends to carry their groceries in. And for the kiddies? I'm stuck.

I have a boy 8 mths, a boy 14 months and a girl 3 and half to buy for. Do you have any suggestions? I was thinking all natural wooden blocks for the 14 mnth old. I'm stuck after that.

Jayanthi said...

Hi! What an intriguing interview.
Sorry I did not get to post your video yesterday on my site, alaivani.com. Will do it on Wed, no doubt! I would love to be interviewed by you. I also have a column on my site called Website Wednesdays - on the third Wed. of every month- which is tomorrow! I would love to have your site featured, along with your video. Send me an e-mail to jennifer at alaivani dot com or jenkumar at gmail dot com. Thanks!