Friday, November 09, 2007

American Girl

Last Friday Kate and I were in Dallas for opening weekend of the American Girl store. We attended a grand opening benefit that evening at the store. Tickets and 10% of the proceeds that night benefited the Children's Medical Center. We went with my parents, my brother and his family, and my good friend Krista and her daughter Abbie. Everyone looked so nice dressed up. Kate and her cousin Mira even wore matching outfits! Because of my father's involvement with the store, we went right in when we arrived and didn't have to stand in the looong line.

If you have never been to an American Girl store (there are only a few in the country), the stores are decorated in a sweet candy pink with red accents. We were greeted at the door with champagne and pink lemonade. As we wandered the store and admired the displays, we were brought grown up appetizers along with child-friendly appetizers of heart-shaped, mini grilled cheese sandwiches, fruit skewers, baked pretzels, mini pizzas, etc. There was a craft room for the girls, and little shakes available at the soda fountain. Yum, yum, yum!
I had intended not to go overboard with purchases for the evening. I wasn't even sure if I was going to get Kate a doll. In fact, I made my purchase at the end of the evening (a couple books and a little doll outfit) and was walking out of the store when I spotted THE DOLL. Somehow I had missed her earlier. She has blond hair and brown eyes just like Kate, and I had to get her. So I did. Plus a few accessories. So much for my best laid intentions.

I was feeling a bit guilty about my purchase partly because of price and partly because Kate really doesn't need the doll. But by the end of the weekend, I was glad that I did buy one. It is a special gift to commemorate our girls' weekend, and the girls had a great time together with their dolls and matching outfits. A newspaper article that weekend also pointed out that an American Girl doll and accessories are less expensive than a video game setup, more wholesome, and will last for generations. It eases my conscious... a bit.

A few more pics from our weekend:









7 comments:

Dawn said...

That sounds like such a fun weekend. my daughter also loves American Girl and dreams of visiting the store someday.

Everyday Yogini said...

Look at how beautiful you all look!! Kate looks really happy with her doll, how could you NOT buy it??

Shannon said...

Oh I want a little girl now...What a fun weekend!! Is that lipstick I see?
;)

Country Dawn said...

I love those dolls... more than my daughter does, I think! :)

Jessie said...

Beautiful photos - so glad that you all had a fun time! What a neat opportunity to get to go to the grand opening! Have a great weekend!

Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

sounds like a wonderful time and i love the pics. you all look great! :)

btw, saw you are linked on mile high mamas now. woot! :)

Penny said...

They do look sweet in their matching clothes!