Saturday, October 20, 2007

Thinking Pink & Green

I ran the 25th Anniversary of the very first Race for the Cure this morning in celebration of my grandmother and my Aunt Gwen who are both breast survivors. I didn't run as fast as I wanted, but I did run a faster time than my Sept race. It is not final, but I think Connie, my inspiration for running this race, might have been the winning survivor! It was awesome experience (despite my side ache and my knee pain) with almost 30 thousand participants.

While I am amazed and grateful for all that the Komen Foundation has done to raise money and awareness of breast cancer, I do want to bring everyone's attention to a organization called Think Before You Pink. Their campaign is try to bring more awareness and accountability to the companies that purport to care about breast cancer by promoting a pink ribbon campaign, but manufacture products that are linked to the disease. A great example is Yoplait making yogurt using milk from cows treated with rBGH which may be linked to an increase risk in breast and other cancers.
I love that the website has questions to ask before purchasing a "pink" item.

How much money from your purchase actually goes to the cause?
What is the maximum amount that will be donated?
How much money was spent marketing the product?
How are the funds being raised?
To what breast cancer organization does the money go, and what types of programs does it support?
What is the company doing to assure that its products are not contributing to the breast cancer epidemic?

I'd love to see a similar campaign for green products (because I am as guilty as anyone for often buying something just because it is purported as being environmentally friendly!) I want to come up with a list of questions that I can ask myself before I buy a green product. Any suggestions?


7 comments:

Kind of Crunchy Mama said...

Good for you!

Nona said...

Way to go Kristen!

Penny said...

Go you :)

Good point about the products and their claims...

Tiffany said...

Congrats on the race - you know me how far and what was your time???

Questions to ask when buying green? How green is it? There is not many regulations on green items. Sometimes you think you are eating organic food and only some of the indregiants are organic. With food you have to read labels. Jen, Over at Green Mommy has written a blog entry on Eco-Chic (http://green-mommy.com/2007/08/lets-talk-eco-chic.html). It talks about "green" housing but is a 4000 square foot really a green house?

Geggie said...

Thanks so much for this post. I've often thought about this, particularly in cosmetics.

Shannon said...

I will be thinking before I endorse every pink product out there thanks to your post...Check out this link: http://www.jimmyfund.org/eve/event/roberts-snow/default.html
to find out how to own a piece of art from your favorite children's book illustrator while fighting cancer...

Gift of Green said...

Congrats on your run! A 5K is on my to-do list...I guess I'd better try a walk around the block first! :)

My thing about thinking before greening is organic versus local. I had a recent experience at my Whole Foods store where, sure the apples were organic, but they were from California and New Zealand. I live on the East coast, so getting apples from WF would not really have made much sense when there are organic apples to be found at the farmer's market. Or maybe you just go without that particular kind of fruit.