Monday, October 01, 2007

Menu Plan Monday

Last week's meal plan ended up being a total disaster! I forgot my birthday was Tuesday - no cooking for me! Then I got sick and the rest of the week's meals went out the window. Oh well. New week, new plan!
Monday - Stuffed Eggplant Rolls (I'm posting the recipe below for those who requested it last week!)
Tuesday - Spaghetti Squash - just bake, cover in my favorite marinara sauce, and sprinkle with some cheese
Wednesday - Butternut Squash Risotto (I'm posting it below also. This is a family favorite that we have every few weeks in the fall/early winter)

Thursday - Date Night! - the kids will have quesadillas (on whole wheat tortillas) with avocado

Friday - Grilled Salmon, grilled mixed veggies
For other menu ideas go see Org Junkie

Stuffed Eggplant Rolls
From my friend Michelle (thanks, Michelle!)
1 clove garlic
¾ cup ricotta (or feta, but I prefer ricotta)
¾ cup grated mozzarella
¼ cup Parmesan
frozen spinach – thawed and drained well (this is my addition to the recipe)
tomato sauce (I like Newman's Marinara the best for this recipe)
fresh basil
marjoram
eggplant
olive oil
salt/pepper

Slice eggplant in long strips (I usually salt them for a few minutes and then rinse), brush with olive oil, and saute about 5 min until soft.

Mix cheeses, spinach, and herbs together

Roll cheese mixture in eggplant slices, place in a baking dish, pour tomato sauce over rolls, bake 350 for 20 min.
Butternut Squash Risotto

1 lb butternut squash
7-8 cups broth
2 T minced parsley
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
s/p to taste
¼ cup olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 ½ cups Arborio rice

Cut squash in half, scoop out seeds and fibers, bake in oven at 375 until softened (about 30min). Cool. Scoop out pulp and place in medium bowl. Mix in parsley and nutmeg.

Pour broth into a saucepan and warm to a simmer.

In another saucepan over med heat, warm oil. Add onion and saute until softened (about 3 min) Add the rice, stir to coat with oil, and cook, stirring, until edges are translucent, about 3-4 min. Add a ladleful of broth and cont to stir constantly over med heat. When the stock is almost fully absorbed, add another ladleful. Cont to add broth, a ladleful at a time, as soon as each ladleful is almost absorbed. The risotto is done when the rice is tender but firm, about 20 min total. (If you have a rice cooker, I make my risottos in the rice cooker. Follow directions up until you add the broth. Put the rice/onions/broth in the rice cooker and use the slow cooking option. It takes about an hour for the rice to cook.)

When the rice is done, add the butternut squash mixture, stirring well.

1 comment:

Penny said...

lurve risotto...