Thursday, October 25, 2007

Keeping It Short

I am feeling tired, overwhelmed, and lazy. I'm not unpacked from my trip, I literally have piles of laundry to do, my home is a disaster zone, I am behind on my homework for my online class, and I just don't feel like doing any of it.

I have to get the house clean because tomorrow there will be a TV crew here to interview me for a series on a local news station about going green. We are one of the families being highlighted. I am excited to share but nervous about getting my place in TV-showing condition. My biggest problem is that I am now looking at my home in a negative light. All I can see are the things that are NOT environmentally friendly. I need to make a mental list of all the things we have changed. What would you highlight in your home?

I need to go empty the countertop composter so I don't have fruit flies tomorrow...

9 comments:

Emily the Great and Terrible said...

I would highlight: a fruit basket full of organic, local fruit; my clothesline; my mending pile as it proves I throw nothing away until it is in threads; geothermal heat and AC that are earth-friendly and still rarely used.

It's hard to show an ecological lifestyle because the difference is more in what we don't do. Good luck!

Christibale said...

Hi-light a compost pile or glass food containers. OR a rain barrel or your lack of garbage vs. recycling. Flourescent bulbs instead of incandescent. There is LOTS to talk about.

Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

i'd highlight our compost bin, our organic foods, our cloth diapers, cloth napkins, CFLs, the recyclables that aren't picked up curbside that we haul to the recycling center, buying kids' clothes 2nd-hand, stuff that we freecycle, etc.

i would be stressing a tv crew too. good luck. :) i can't wait to hear how it all goes. how did they find out about you in the first place?

Marie Green said...

Wow! A tv crew! Way to go! You will have plenty to show them- and I think it would actually HELP viewers if your home LOOKED like a normal home, but then you highlight the differences. It would communicate that you don't have to change everything- that even little changes help.

Good luck!

Penny said...

Ditto to what the other girls said! Good luck! I'm sure you'll be fine :)

The Cole Mine said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Everyday Yogini said...

You are going to be brilliant, my beautiful friend! I wish I were there to help~ at least by getting the kidlets out of the house for a bit. Good luck!

Everyday Yogini said...

Oooohhh!! Kristen, I just thought of this. You can talk, at least briefly, about the draw of purchasing a house that is built environmentally friendly~ solar-panel ready, formaldahyde free lumber used, energy star rated homes....

Good luck!

erin said...

how'd it go? i can't even believe you were worried about your house!! all the stuff you do is amazing. i bet it went great... (thanks for all your good ideas)