Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Guilty Confession

After writing my post way back about artificial coloring in foods, I found that my big bag of dum-dums that I use to bribe the kids (usually for travel on airplanes or long car trips) is stock full of artificial colors. Instead of passing out better-for-you organic and/or artificial color free candy for Halloween, I am going to pass out all the dum-dums that I don't want to give to my kids anymore. I got some of the organic lollipops for us. I'm feeling a bit guilty that I am not passing out something better, but since I care and so many others don't, why not get rid of them? I'll probably have to supplement with another bag of candy. Do you know how difficult it is to find candy with no artificial colorings or hydrogenated oils or high fructose corn syrup or palm oil (which I am going to write about next week!)?? Nearly impossible. The only one I could find was Nestle Crunches, but I didn't do a complete search...

Tomorrow after we trick-or-treat, indulge in some sugar and manage to settle the kids to sleep, I think the Switch Witch is going to visit us. If you give the Switch Witch all of your candy, she leaves you a toy. I hope the kids go for it. I hope the Switch Witch has the self-control to get rid of the candy and not eat it all herself!

I think I am going to take a break from blogging for Halloween. I gotta get myself motivated for NaBloPoMo. It still isn't too late to join, and if you blog about anything green, be sure to join our Green Bloggers group!

7 comments:

Geggie said...

I love the idea of the switch witch!

On the dum dums...anything that I realize has stuff it in that I don't want AFTER I've purchased it, I either continue to use it until it's gone, or give it away the the disclaimer "I don't like parabens, HFCS, etc." and let my friend decide. But, I figure that tossing it is totally wasteful and that's no good. Really, it's about learning and making a change NEXT TIME.

Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

i'm sure i would do the same thing if i had a bag of dum-dums lying around. i actually bought a bunch of stickers today for the younger kids and some natural cereal bars for the older kids. all courtesy of the dollar store. ;)

btw, we got some natural/organic suckers for ava - will have to look up the name of them for ya if you are interested.

Steph (Sydney's Mom) said...

Ha! We're getting rid of the candy too...via the "Candy Fairy." I already prepped Sydney for it - after a few bites of candy, the Candy Fairy is going to bring her a present! Luckily she went for it, so I think I'm in the clear...

shokufeh said...

Switch witch? Genius! I will have to employ this tactic, once my little one catches on to the sugar rush that is Halloween.

Dawn said...

We have a candy fairy much like your switch witch. Switch Witch is a catchy name, I love it! I'm passing out the hot cocoa packets someone gave my kids that are full of hydrogenated fats to our trick or treaters tonight and I get that same guilty feeling but your right, some people don't care.

Stacy said...

The Halloween Fairy visits our house... :) My son was so excited this morning!

I thought of you when I read about Green Halloween. Have you heard about it? I wrote it about it in my blog the other day, too.

the scott family said...

The suckers we eat are Yummy Earth organic lollipops. Sooo good!