Friday, October 05, 2007

Green Is Sexy??

Matt and I had a date night last night. Gotta love date night! Many date nights aren't exceptionally romantic. We've been known to spend the evening at Home Depot or wrapping up an evening at the grocery store. We are together and without kids, and that is what is important.

Last night we had dinner out, tried on ski boots at a local ski store (my boots are at least 10 years old!), and ended up at Target for a few necessities. As we walked through the women's department, I noticed a whole line of t-shirts with green messages. Plant a Tree, Forever Green (with Kermit's face), and Green is Sexy. I had a really bad case of consumer-itis - a common condition for me! - looking at these tees. I wanted a t-shirt. My first impulse was to just throw the Green is Sexy shirt in my cart, but then I started to really think about my potential purchase (something I should do more often). I quickly decided that I would not be caught dead in a shirt with the word "sexy" on it in any context. C'mon... I'm a mom! I'm not going to show up to preschool in that thing!

But Green is Sexy? As I thought more about it, the shirt really started to bug me. Is green sexy? Should green be sexy? I know green is trendy. That might bug some, but I think it is a good thing. It brings more awareness to the issue, people start with small changes, then they start making more and bigger changes. But sexy? Any thoughts?

9 comments:

Jenny said...

To its credit, the shirt is cute. I'd be tempted to get it too. Still, you make some very valid points.

I think that as the green living trend continues, we'll be faced with a lot of green consumerism and that bothers me. Green Living is, inherently, in conflict with consumerism. After all, what went into that tee-shirt besides the water and pesticides used to grow the cotton, the petrochemicals used to pack and haul it and other spooky stuff?

Still, it's a cute shirt.

Kari said...

You are starting to remind me of Carrie Bradshaw...

Penny said...

Maybe not sexy. Possibly trendy.

Is green the new black?

Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

the shirt is cute, but the lettering is way too big for my taste. (i'm a simple girl. hehe) are the shirts organic cotton? doubt it.
i think jenny makes some very good points about green living conflicting with consumerism.

LOL penny - i was going to make a shirt that says "green is the new black." i ran it by dh and he said nobody would get it. men. :oP

ames said...

I'm more drawn to the color of the shirt, pretty!

As for the "green is sexy" issue, I'll admit it irks me quite a bit that being green has suddenly become "trendy"...we were discussing sustainability and green design when I was in undergrad 8 years ago and only when celebrities latch on does it seem to become mainstream.

However, if green being "sexy" or "trendy" causes more people to become aware and to take action, then I'm for it, irked or not.

Kind of Crunchy Mama said...

It's two trends colliding on a t-shirt.

And green is so the new black. This season of America's Next Top Model has a green theme.

CindyW said...

The style is very cute. But it is kinda like wearing a bumper sticker, doesn't it? Sexy or not, I'd be a little embarrassed wearing a bumper sticker :) Plus, it's just target's way of making more money with not-even-green products (non-organic cotton, probably made in a sweat shop half a world away from the US). Cynical, cynical...

Sandy said...

Where do you get this shirt?

Blogmaster said...

how to live green, practical advice and tips only..