Wednesday, October 03, 2007

CoSleeping Woes

Last night was one of those nights where co sleeping just wasn't working for me. We don't have a family bed, but we welcome our children into our bed when they want. Kate only comes to our bed about 5% of her sleeping time... lately Jack comes to our bed about 90%. Our cat Samuel is a pretty frequent co sleeper as well!

I am a pretty big believer in co sleeping. I co slept with both of my babies. Not so much for their benefit but for mine. It was just so much easier for breastfeeding. Roll over, attach, and fall back to sleep. Wake up two hours later, repeat. At about 6 months we started transitioning babies to their cribs (although they usually still came to bed with me at some point during the night). Gradually they each spent more and more time in their own beds.

I usually love it when Jack comes to bed. He is a snugglebug and falls back to sleep pretty quickly. He came to bed last night (he said his legs hurt, so I think he had some growing pains) at 1am. Samuel came to bed about 2am. I was sandwiched between the two so tight that I couldn't turn over. And both little bodies were like little heaters. I was sweaty and uncomfortable. Finally I couldn't take it anymore. I nudged Samuel out of bed and took Jack to his bed and finally fell asleep. Cool and comfortable.

And just so you know - both little co sleepers were back in bed with me by morning!

Here are a few reminiscent pictures of my prime co sleeping days. Wish I looked a bit better when sleeping!
Mommy & Kate; Jack & Daddy; my favorite co sleeping pic of Kate & Mommy

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe just happens to be "co-sleeping" with Riley from about 3 am on b/c it seems to be the ONLY way he (Riley, not Daddy) will sleep! Cute pics Kristen!
Shannon

AmyBow said...

I love the picture of the two of you in the same position. Isn't it funny how your kids are pretty much born with some of your habits, facial expressions, etc...

Kind of Crunchy Mama said...

I've left my 3 yr old in bed with my husband on a few occasions and slept in her room. Oh to stretch out all alone. The best part is that it's the quietest room in the house, so I don't hear everyone waking up.

Penny said...

Miss "Alarm Clock" Dugmore is a big fan of our bed and because I'm still bfing she spends a lot of time there. Tim still likes to come in for a snuggle too so I end up being sandwiched too. Both of them insist on putting their legs on or over me!

LOL at that one of you and Kate! If it were me, my shirt would be up and boobies hanging out! ;)

Marie Green said...

We use almost exactly the same sleep philosphy! And we cosleep with our infants because it's easier for ME. I totally agree on that. Those poor suckers that are dragging themselved out of bed and/or warming bottles. I just had to roll over and insert nipple. I never felt sleep deprieved. AND my baby likes her crib just fine, even though she never slept in it until she was 6 months...