Monday, October 15, 2007

Blog Action Day

Why do I care about the environment? I certainly care from a global perspective, but it is my children that encourage me and keep me making even the smallest of changes in my every day life. My children ARE the environment. Let us never forget that we as humans are as much a part of the earth as the water, the air, the land, and the other creatures that inhabit our planet.

And how to I care for my children? I concern myself with everything about my children - feeding them healthy foods, dressing them in appropriate clothing, keeping them healthy, wearing sunscreen, getting enough sleep, brushing their teeth, educating them, saving money for their future, etc. The list could go on and on. Am I a perfect parent? No! Do I make mistakes in the care of my children? Of course! But with each mistake I learn and try to do better next time. As a parent, I think of the consequences for my children in all of my actions.

I think a similar approach is good for the environment. Instead of thinking of the planet as "Mother Earth" providing for us, maybe we should think of ourselves as the parent and the earth as our child. We should be thinking of the consequences for our "Earth Child" in all of our actions. Are we feeding her healthy? Our we saving for her future? Is she wearing her sunscreen? We are not always going to be the perfect parent towards our planet, but we learn from our mistakes and try to do better as we move forward.

With our combined efforts we can leave a beautiful legacy. A beautiful, healthy planet for our children to care about and to enjoy.

Visit the Blog Action Day website for more blogs participating. You can also join our group of Green Bloggers participating in NaBloPoMo.

10 comments:

Tiffany@naturemoms.com said...

Great post...it amazes me that we so often take our planet for granted.

~*Country Dawn*~ said...

I love that concept of "Earth Child"! Awesome!

Selena Kitt said...

Terrific! I love that you living in cohousing, too.

I posted a story for Blog Action Day.

Marj aka Thriver said...

I LOVE your blog! Thanks for the heads up on Blog Action Day. I was going to drive to an appointment today as it is rather chilly, but you motivated me to walk! I'm also going to put up a post for Blog Action Day.

Penny said...

:) love the sunscreen comment

The Bayou Chica said...

Great post! I also posted for Blog Action Day.

Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

excellent post. love the concept of "earth child." :)

my kids definitely inspire me to do better.

i love the quote:
“We are not inheriting the Earth from our parents, we are borrowing it from our grandchildren.”

amy

Natalie said...

I just wanted to let you know you've been gifted with a 'sweet treat' over at my blog! Thanks for stopping by!

I'll post my crockpot chicken taco recipe over on my blog in a few minutes. :)

RecycleCindy said...

A very good and interesting post in support of Blog Action Day.

Jen said...

I too love the Earth Child concept!