Monday, October 08, 2007

Bag to Basics

One of the easiest ways to be greener is to use resuable bags. Did you know that over a billion plastic bags are given out each day? I am really surprised at how few people use their own bags. It is such an easy change to make. My biggest excuse for the times I haven't used my own bags is simply forgetting. Most days I'm lucky to remember to brush my teeth! I have solved my own forgetfulness by carrying several compact bags in the bottom of my diaper bag or purse. I even have a few stashed in my glove compartment for "emergencies."



Now that I've finally gotten back in the groove of using my own bags, and I do it everywhere. Not just the grocery store. Crazy as it sounds, it took me awhile to figure out that I could and should be using my own bag whenever I go shopping, not just for groceries. I get the best responses at the stores. I really expected to get some rolled eyes, but the older woman at Target loved that I had my own bags. The teenager at Old Navy actually thought I was COOL (her word!) for having my own bags. Even at the stores that are accostumed to seeing reusable bags like Wild Oats, Whole Foods, Vitamin Cottage and my neighborhood, natural grocery store, I get lots of compliments on my bags. Probably because I have the CUTEST BAGS you will ever see. I got my first one from my sister as a gift. I proceeded to buy more for myself and gave a bunch out as Christmas gifts last year. I have them in red and green, but they come in several colors (of course, green is my favorite!).


If you have never used your own bags at the grocery store, you may not know that many stores give you a discount for bringing your own bag. The bags pay for themselves pretty quickly.


To learn more about the problems with plastic bags and to make you feel guilty (in a good way!) read this.

If you want to be "cool" like me or you want to give bags as Christmas gifts, Reusablebags.com has offered 10% off your entire order using discount code eccd87 (case sensitive). Good through Oct 31st.

How to get 10% off your entire order at ReusableBags.com: 1. Visit www.reusablebags.com 2. Add desired items to cart 3. Proceed through check-out 4. Redeem your special code: Enter the following code in the GiftCertificates/Discount Coupons section: eccd87 (note that it is casesensitive). 5. Complete check out process (discount will be shown before confirmingthe order). Special offer is valid from October 8-31, 2007. One use per customer. ReusableBags.com offers a wide selection of safe and reusable bottles forkids and parents, as well as lead free lunch bags and reusable shoppingbags. Why shop at ReusableBags.com? We donate 1% of all sales to the environment We support fair trade practices Top 10 nominee Co-Op America 2006 People's Choice Award Most orders ship within 24 hrs No sales tax (except IL) Member BBBonline % 100% satisfaction guarantee Thousands of product reviews & customer testimonials Questions: contact ReusableBags.com at service@reusablebags.com or 888.707.3873

9 comments:

Shannon said...

This is such great info Kristen - and I LOVE my GREEN bag that you gave me last year at our 'Moms Night Out Party'. Thanks for sharing this...

justkc said...

I came to check out your Monday Menu but instead I have bag envy! I use all cloth bags too but mine aren't nearly as cute. I added that super cute bag to my Christmas wish list ;)

Bella said...

I love using my reusable bags---but, yours are "oh so cute!". Thanks for the discount tip. I love the bags. I just may have to get one or two or three for me to show off at the grocery stores!
Your menu looks great too! My DH and I have been looking for a simple easy and healthy whole wheat pizza dough. We love to make homemade pizzas and have tried lots of different doughs. We will have to give this recipe a try. Have a great week!

Shannon said...

Kristen, check out the "I'm not a plastic bag" bags at http://www.anyahindmarch.com/. I still think yours are cutest...

Ashlee said...

i'm finally remembering to bring my reusable bags in for groceries after driving around with them for so long! hopefully better habits will stick.

cute bags--my favorite is still your sneaky fold-up one from container store!

keep the discount codes coming!

Penny said...

Yep - love reusable bags too. My main trouble is forgetting to bring them but now I've stashed one in my handbag and like you I should keep some in the car too.

molly said...

great bag link! i dont have any compactable ones yet - which definetly makes it harder to remember to have them when they are needed. and youre right, great gift! i just stumbled upon your blog and its great. thanks.

Tiffany said...

I have gotten much better at using my own bags. My problem is forgetting for those quick trips but I am trying to get better. I am also using them at other stores as well. I was in a Super Walmart the other day and going through the do it yourself scanner - we had issues since I was using my own bag and I put it on the weight, then the lady already cleared something she finally said the problem is your bag. I said fine I will set the bag on the floor because I am not using a plastic bag.

Dana Miller said...

Check out these VERY green and VERY cool alternatives to paper and plastic bags - BaggyShirts Reusable Bags are made out of recycled men's shirts, are made in the USA, and the folks who make them work from their homes and are paid a decent wage!