Thursday, September 13, 2007

My Moon (girls only!)

I have a neighbor who is very French. When we first moved in, Kate was just beginning to talk, and I was in a quandry over what to call Kate's private parts. (I know it isn't very feminist of me, but I just don't like the "V" word) This neighbor informed me that in France female parts are often referred to as your "moon." Makes perfect sense really. Females cycle in a similar fashion and on a similar time table as the moon. So Kate used the term moon for awhile, until the whole subject went by the wayside (she now just refers to it as her bottom).


So when my friend Penny recommended the Mooncup, I loved the name. I also loved the idea of a reuseable... uh... feminine product. But I was doubtful. When it came in the mail, I was REALLY doubtful but willing to try. So my next cycle I tried it out. It didn't go so well, and I gave up after the first day. It is now a cycle or two later, and I decided I should give it a go again. I did a few things differently, and it worked amazingly well. It isn't messy, it isn't uncomfortable, and once you get it positioned right, it doesn't leak. I *almost* can't wait for my next cycle to try it out again! And I don't know what I am going to do with all these tampons that I have stocked up.


The other brands of menstrual cups that I am aware of include The Keeper (which is the Mooncup, just latex instead of silicone) and the Diva Cup. Of course neither name is quite as cool as Mooncup.


Just don't leave it out where the kids might find it. I caught Kate using mine as a bathtub toy...

4 comments:

Karen (Pediascribe) said...

Donate all of those unused tampons and pads to a local women's shelter. They'd LOVE to get them! :)

Kind of Crunchy Mama said...

Love my Diva! Even though the name is cheesy ;-)

My 3 yr old usually calls her parts her 'gine. Recently she started saying *the bottom of me* as well.

Mom2Cass said...

Cassidy refers to her privates as her "front butt" and "back butt". :)

Stacy

Penny said...

Yay! I'm glad you persevered. It really is a bit of a knack to get it right - you have to aim towards the small of your back I find. But once you've got it sussed it works like a dream. Somehow it feels more "natural" than the other options.

LOL at Kate! Tim has seen me using it and wants to know what it is...