Sunday, September 09, 2007

I Did It!

I met my goal of running the whole 5K! Not one bit of walking. I'm pretty proud of myself. I came in 2nd in my mom's running group so I feel pretty good about that as well. The best part of the whole experience was supporting and being supported by the other moms. It felt so good to have the mom who finished before me loop back and sprint the end with me, then we kept looping back and finishing with the other moms as they came in. And running in with the final mom was AWESOME! It felt so good to be part of a group, and all in our matching tops.

My personal run went pretty well. I kept reminding myself to keep my pace slow. I really didn't want to get a side ache. Even as people passed me, I concentrated on slow and steady. Unfortunately, I think I actually kept it a little slower than I needed, but that's okay. The first climb (which is about 3/4 mile) went much faster than I expected. I had hoped to be passing people on the climb, but no... most people were passing me. Even a wiener dog with stumpy little legs passed me up! When I made a comment to one of the moms in my group, another woman kindly reminded me that the dog had 4 legs and I only had 2! LOL I did feel a bit frustrated that so many people were passing, but then at the 1.5 mile marker I noticed that I was doing some of the passing and by 2 miles I was doing A LOT of passing. All in all, the run really felt good and at no time did I feel like I was struggling. I started sprinting at the 2.5 mile marker. Maybe a bit soon, but it felt good until the last 50 yards, and fortunately at that point I had Annette running with me and encouraging me to keep at it. I crossed the line at 36 minutes (I think my actual time will be a little less based on starting a bit back in the pack).

And I did end up beating that little wiener dog.

3 comments:

Penny said...

go you!! I bet the wiener dog was a hot dog at the end!! haw haw

Jessie said...

YEAH! What an accomplishment!

Kind of Crunchy Mama said...

Good for you!