Wednesday, September 05, 2007

First Day!

Today was the first day of preschool for Kate and Jack! Celebrating little things is very important to me (thus why I like half birthdays!) I wanted today to be special for the kids so I made banana chocolate chip pancakes using my famous pancake recipe.* We had outfits all picked out (Kate had a new outfit, Jack didn't... not preferential treatment, just somehow when I was buying preschool clothes for Jack, I forgot that it won't be freezing the beginning of Sept!) Daddy had the day off so he got to go with us. We even had a new book to prepare for the first day of school. Here are my babies all ready to go...
I knew Kate would do great, but I wasn't sure about how Jack would do since he has never been left somewhere unfamiliar before. No need to worry. He didn't even look up when I kissed him goodbye. They both came home with art projects and stories of preschool. I think it is going to be a good year.

*Here is my favorite pancake recipe. This recipe makes just the right amount for me and two preschoolers. I use all kinds of variations depending on the season. Add blueberries in the spring/early summer, shredded zucchini in late summer (also good with a few mini chocolate chips!), chopped apple in fall, a few spoonfuls of canned pumpkin in fall and winter, or for special occasions - mashed bananas and mini chocolate chips!

Whole Grain Pancakes
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 tbsp of wheat germ
1 tbsp ground flax seed
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 tbsp soy flour (optional )
1 & 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 egg
1 tbsp oil
1 cup milk
1/4 tsp vanilla

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. Blend liquid ingredients and add to dry ingredients. Mix well. Heat some oil in a pan over medium hat and pour batter in 1/4 cup measures into pan. Turn when bubbles form in batter. Cook until golden. Enjoy!!


3 comments:

amygeekgrl said...

they look so cute! glad the first day went well :)

Penny said...

Yum!! And they look so sweet!

Jessie said...

Looks like another good recipe, thanks! Your kids are so cute sitting so nicely there together :) I hope that they had a wonderful time on their first days of school!