Sunday, September 30, 2007

Boobs, Boobs, Boobs

Last June, I babysat a friend's newborn baby a few hours a week so that she could do some home visits for her job. Kate thoroughly enjoyed "helping" me take care of the baby. On one visit, Kate asked me, "Mommy, where is the baby's mommy going?" "She is going to work," I replied. Kate looked at me funny and said, "Silly Mommy, GIRLS don't go to work!" I was horrified! As important as it is to me to be a SAHM, I also don't want my children to think that women aren't an important part of the workforce.

And to be honest, some days I miss my career (I'm a nurse for those who don't know). So since that day I've been pondering what I can do that will give me the satisfaction of a career but the flexibility to be the mom and wife I want to be. My first step is to reactivate my RN license and have it transferred to Colorado. To do that I need 20 hours of continuing education. As I looked at different programs to get the CE, I found one that I feel really fits my current interests and my current experience. I am excited to tell everyone that I am taking an online class on Lactation Education. I started yesterday. When I complete it I will be a CLEC - Certificated Lactation Education Counselor.

Now don't ask me what I am going to do with this, because I don't really know. I've thought about using it to volunteer with a few local agencies. I've thought about taking a part-time job on a mother-baby unit. I've thought about using it as a stepping stone to become a Lactation Consultant. Maybe I'll do absolutely nothing with it.

And this happens to tie in really well with The League of Maternal Justice current mission for a Virtual Nurse-In on October 10th. I plan to participate with a blog post and pictures of me from my breastfeeding days. Thanks to Amy at Crunchy Domestic Goddess for the heads-up!

5 comments:

Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

that's awesome about working towards your CLEC. :) congrats! i've thought about pursuing a lactation educator certificate in the past myself. maybe someday.
btw, i don't think kate is alone in her assumption. i think ava thinks that way too. it's so hard to find a balance so that they know women CAN and DO work, but also show the importance of being a SAHM.

Ashlee said...

yea for you! i've been meaning to ask. i long considered being a CLC. i think it would be a fantastic PRN job. and if not, then you'll just be the go-to gal for those questions amongst friends and neighbors, and we all need one of those! (at least I did!)

Penny said...

If I was a nurse I'd seriously consider becoming a lactation consultant! Here you have to nursing training first as well as a certain number of hours in midwifery too. I asked my lc what was involved and there are a lot of training requirements here.

Go you!

I think Tim realises women do work but who knows what Lydia will think!!

Steph (Sydney's mom) said...

Kristen, that's awesome! Do you have to be a nurse first in order to pursue the CLEC? If I could choose a job, I would *love* to be a lactation consultant...

Kari said...

Well, not so sure anyone else will find this interesting, but it fits with lactation topic (sort of...):
The Incredible Milk-Producing Male Bat