Friday, September 28, 2007

Artificial Colors

My sister sent me this article about artificial food coloring, and it really got me thinking. To be honest, I have never thought much about artificial coloring in my food. Did you know that artificial colors are made from petroleum and coal tars as well as insects? Yuck! And artificial coloring has been linked to children's behavioral problems (hmmm...), allergies, and tumors.

I went through my pantry and refrigerator to see what we have with artificial colors. I was pleased to find just a few items with artificial coloring, but I was surprised at what did have artificial coloring. I expected only to find it in neon blue or bright red food, but it was in some fairly bland colored foods. Kraft Light Done Right Zesty Italian dressing has Yellow 5 and Yellow 6; Brach's Autumn Mix candy corn (bought during a weak moment a few days ago) has Yellow 6, Yellow 6 Lake, Red 40, Red 40 Lake, Red 3, Yellow 5, Blue1 AND Blue 2 Lake. Yikes that's a lot! The biggest surprise for me was Blue 1 in a bag of mini marshmallows!

So now in addition to checking labels and not buying anything with hydrogenated oils or high fructose corn syrup, I am going not buy anything with artificial coloring.

Check your cupboards to see what artificial colors are hanging out in your home!

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Those dyes are really spooky when you consider their source: coal tar? Bleeecchhh!

It's funny that we've become so accustomed to artificial coloring in our food that natural food looks funny without it.

Penny said...

But insects and coal tar are natural right? ;-)j/k

I think I read that the yellows are the worst for affecting kids etc but I might be wrong.

Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

are you trying to tell me that big ass bag of M&Ms I have might be bad for me?
such a downer. :oP

i recently learned gum is made from petroleum too. nasty!

GG said...

I'm always amazed at the horrible things I find out about what they put in our food. One more reason to cook from scratch! I always try to keep high fructose corn syrup and MSG out of my food, guess I can add one more thing to the list.

Great Blog!