Monday, August 20, 2007

Pet Bug

Last night as Kate and I were dead-heading our geraniums, we found a little green caterpillar. Kate was thrilled with her new pet. Carried him around, showed him to all the neighbors, and would not put him down (I have to admit that the caterpillar did seem awfully happy on her hand!). I finally convinced her that the caterpillar needed a home, so we gathered some grass and geranium flowers in a canning jar. Reminiscent of my childhood, we punched some holes in the lid of the jar and put the caterpillar in his new home. Mr. Caterpillar slept on Kate's nightstand last night, but, alas, when I checked early this morning he wasn't moving. It seems he has gone to the great, green geranium plant in the sky. He ate all the geranium flowers so maybe there weren't enough holes for oxygen? Kate currently thinks he is sleeping. I'm going to try to convince her to let the caterpillar go sleep in the garden... before he turns brown.

In the meantime, I've ordered this for our next pet bug.

1 comment:

Penny said...

whoops! My sister used to keep slaters (wood lice) in her underwear drawer.