Monday, August 06, 2007

Maine Trip - Part I: Glorified Camping

We spent the last week on an island about an hour north of Portland, Maine. It was amazing. Matt's mom's boyfriend - did you follow all that? - has a house on this island. You can only reach it by boat, and there is no access to mainland utilities. We stayed in the boathouse (aka "The Shack") right on the water. While there was solar electricity and a flushing toilet in the main house, our accomdations had neither. We had a propane light, a kerosene light, an outhouse, and bunkbeds. I hardly noticed that we had given up so many "necessities" when I would wake up and look out over the water. What a view!

The Shack













The bunks













The view from The Shack

3 comments:

Tami said...

How cool! I'd love to do something like that but I'm sure I'd have to listen to Wayne complain the entire time. LOL!

Penny said...

This sounds devine! I'd be happy being beside the water and DH would be happy because of the isolation. Perfect.

Ashlee said...

Wow. Those are some digs! Beautiful view though! Can't wait for Part II!