Sunday, August 19, 2007

A Loop Hole for Trader Joe's?

When my friend Ashlee and I were in Santa Fe in July, we made a big (BIG!) shopping trip to Trader Joe's where Ashlee accosted the manager about why there was no Trader Joe's store in Colorado. She was told that it would be a long time before Trader Joe's makes an appearance anywhere in Colorado. The official story is that they have to have a distribution center within so many miles of a store, but I've heard that the real problem is Colorado's liquor laws that prohibit alcohol sales in grocery stores. I figured that we'd just have to do a girls' weekend to Santa Fe at least twice a year to stock up. But then today I read this article. It doesn't mention Trader Joe's specifically, but maybe with this info Trader Joe's will put in just one store in Colorado.

And I would write a letter to Trader Joe's management to alert them, but I don't need to. I am pretty certain that Ashlee will take care of it the moment she reads this! *wink*

8 comments:

Ashlee said...

ooooooooh! i'm totally on it!

Steph (Sydney's Mom) said...

I love your blog, Kristen! :)

And...I cannot believe you don't have a Trader Joe's in CO. That's crazy! I love that store. Even crazier - you mean that if you want a bottle of wine or some beer in CO you can't get it at the regular grocery store? That's nuts. I suppose I'd drink less wine that way. *wink*

Jeremiah said...

I was just at a trader joes in Wisconsin, and the guy there told me the same thing about the distribution center, I wonder if we could just say we'd pay an extra 10 cents per product if they'd put one here in colorado to cover the cost of shipping it up here from another distribution center and/or building a distribution center here in Colorado.

Anonymous said...

but I've heard that the real problem is Colorado's liquor laws that prohibit alcohol sales in grocery stores.

I doubt it. Massachusetts still has blue laws and has TJs.

besthiker said...

Some of the eastern states have restrictive blue laws like CO. However, those states are near other states that do not and in which Trader Joes operates. There is not as much of an 'extra' cost for TJ to have stores in the states with the blue laws as there is in CO. There are few large cities north and west of Colorado (until SLC). NM has some but they are not too close and the mountains makes driving to CO very difficult in the winter. People to the east (NE, KS) are probably not as interested as Coloradans. I suspect the blue laws will need to change for TJ to operate here unless they are content with just one store with liquor.

Anonymous said...

The liquor law theory doesn't fly. The downtown Boston TJ's doesn't sell any alcohol.

Jess said...

The distribution center location not being near enough to CO is more likely the issue. We have a bunch of Trader Joe's in Maryland even though beer and wine are prohibited from being sold in grocery stores.

KC said...

I live in the metro area of Philadelphia. Our Trader Joe stores (there are about six) cannot sell wine in the state (our liquor and wine stores are state owned/operated). The real answer to why there isn't a TJ's everywhere has to do with the location/infrastructure to support a distribution center AND their chosen rate of growth.