Wednesday, September 12, 2007

ASPCA Henry Bergh Children's Book Award

Henry Bergh just had a birthday a few weeks ago. (I meant to post this on his birthday, but I forgot!) He is the founder of The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty for Animals (ASPCA). Every June at the American Library Association's national conference, the ASPCA presents the Henry Bergh Children's Book Award to honor books that promote the humane ethic of compassion and respect for all living things. I am always on the lookout for books to help my children develop empathy and understanding of the earth and its inhabitants, so I purchased a few of the books that won awards this year.

Buddy Unchained won the Companion Animals Award. It is a cute, little book about a dog who is abused, rescued, and adopted into a new home. Kate loves this book. She actually got teary-eyed the first time we read it. It is now a must-read for her before bed, and I've even noticed an increase in her caring for our neighbor's dog since we started reading the book.

Tale of a Great White Fish won the Fiction: Environment and Ecology award. Most of the concepts in this book are still beyond Kate and Jack. They can't quite follow and comprehend the timeline, but I think they'll grow into it. They both now know what a sturgeon is both showed some concern about the falling rocks and the fish being caught. And I learned quite a bit about sturgeon. Did you know that they can live to be over 100 years old?!?

Butterfly Eyes won the Poetry and Illustration award. The recommended age range was above our family, but I couldn't resist an environmental poetry book. I love this book and its illustrations. It has poems describing living creatures in a meadow, and you guess what is being described. The answer page gives you information about the creature. And if you don't read it word for word, it is very appropriate for younger children.
You can see all the award winning books here.

No comments: